Voluntary Surveillance Testing Program
Weekly COVID-19 testing will be available to fully vaccinated individuals on a voluntary basis for the 2021-22 academic year. Please note that isolation requirements apply for anyone who tests positive for COVID-19 regardless of vaccination status.
To be eligible for the University’s Voluntary Surveillance Testing Program, you must be a University student, faculty member, other academic appointee, postdoctoral researcher, or staff member who meets these conditions:
1) Is fully vaccinated;
2) Will regularly be on the Hyde Park campus or in another University facility in the Chicago area for the duration of Autumn Quarter*;
3) Has not tested positive for COVID-19 in the 90 days prior to your registration; and
4) Can commit to weekly testing for the duration of the Autumn Quarter*.
* Individuals who will be away from campus periodically during the year are still eligible to be tested during the weeks that they are on campus. You can request make-up tests or changes to your test schedule at the testing site or via C19Testing@uchicago.edu.
If you meet these criteria and would like to participate, complete the consent and HIPAA forms below to apply. Space is limited, so we encourage you to apply as soon as possible. You will be notified by the COVID-19 Testing Program if you are accepted. For those accepted, testing will begin no earlier than mid to late October.
The testing program will operate in the Walker Museum, Suite 309, located on the main quadrangle at 1115 E. 58th St.
The testing program will operate on the Hyde Park campus, in the Walker Museum, Suite 309, located on the main quadrangle at 1115 E. 58th St. Starting October 19, it will also operate Tuesdays and Fridays at Chicago Booth’s downtown Gleacher Center location, in room 101.
The Walker Museum test site can be accessed in two ways:
- Main entrance: Take the stairs to the third floor and turn right to enter the test site.
- Elevator/ADA entrance: Enter via the ground-level entrance located between Rosenwald Hall and the Walker Museum. Take the elevator or stairs to the third floor, then turn left and continue down the hallway to enter the test site.
No cost to participants
Costs of the tests will be covered by the University.
New consent and HIPAA authorization forms
To apply to participate in the testing program, complete the consent and HIPAA authorization forms created specifically for this testing program here. You must complete them, even if you completed similar forms in the past. Both forms can be accessed, completed, and submitted on the REDCap registration website. Required forms must be completed prior to your first appointment. Students under age 18 must have their legal guardian sign their consent form to complete registration.
Test type and results
For the 2021-22 academic year, the testing program will use a saliva-based COVID-19 test. During their testing appointment, participants will be asked to provide 1-2 ml of saliva into a specimen vial. While medical professionals will be on site to assist, the saliva specimen is self-collected by the participant.
Important: For the sample to be viable, participants must refrain from eating, drinking, using tobacco, chewing gum, or using oral hygiene products for 60 minutes prior to their testing appointment. We recommend drinking water 60 minutes prior to your appointment to improve hydration. If a saliva sample is determined to be unviable by the laboratory, participants may be required to return to the test site to provide a new sample.
Test results will be released within 48 hours but will normally be available faster.
Patient portal and testing times
The online medical patient portal for the 2021-22 academic year is my.WellnessPortal, which is separate from UChicago Medicine’s MyChart. Accounts have already been created and students and employees can login using their CNetID and password. Through this portal, participants can:
- View information on testing appointments
- Request or reschedule testing appointments (subject to testing program availability)
- View results of completed COVID-19 tests
COVID-19 testing appointments will be set for specific times. This is different from the 4-hour testing windows used last year. Participants will be able to change their testing appointment day, time, and location via self-service capabilities in the portal, subject to appointment availability. If you are unable to be tested at your regular appointment time, you must contact the testing program at C19Testing@uchicago.edu or reschedule through the portal, subject to testing availability.
Testing if symptomatic
If you are symptomatic, you should not attend your regularly scheduled testing appointment—instead call the contact numbers on this page to schedule a screening with UChicago Medicine (employees) or UChicago Student Wellness (students). The screening process will determine whether a nasal-based COVID-19 test through the University’s Symptomatic Testing Program is needed. (Individuals experiencing symptoms may also contact their own medical providers if they do not wish to be screened and tested through the University’s Symptomatic Testing Program.)
- Please view our testing FAQ web page for answers to frequently asked questions.
- If you have questions related to registration or the testing program not addressed in the FAQs, contact C19Testing@uchicago.edu.