Overall Approach to Campus Housing and Dining
The University worked closely with UChicago Medicine to design a campus experience that makes your personal health and well-being our top priority. We implemented a variety of mandatory health protocols to help protect students, faculty, and staff living in University housing. This includes:
- Weekly COVID-19 testing of everyone living in University residence halls.
- Under the direction of UChicago Medicine Infectious Diseases specialists, the University established a team dedicated to timely contact tracing for reported cases of COVID-19 involving the campus community.
- Quarantine periods for students after moving into the residence halls and after returning to residence halls following breaks.
- Separate campus housing space allocated specifically for students who contract COVID-19 and must follow isolation procedures. (Students living off-campus who contract COVID-19 are required to remain in isolation where they live.)
- Our student health and wellness resources, including mental health services, are available to assist students both on-campus and virtually.
On-campus residence halls are operating at reduced capacity.
- All room assignments are single occupancy, including within apartments, to provide more personal space.
- The University has provided contact information and other details for rental agencies to returning students in need of off-campus housing. Additional tips and informationalso are available to assist students.
- All students on financial aid, regardless of whether they live in a residence hall, received an aid package this year that includes increased funding to cover incremental off-campus rental costs and dining expenses.
Learn more about Spring 2021 Campus Housing
While our on-campus food is still delicious and plentiful, the dining experience is different to accommodate social distancing and other health guidelines. In-person dining is offered at a limited number of locations on campus with reduced capacity, enhanced sanitation, and other safety measures.
- Health safety protocols include the reduction of maximum capacity at dining commons by about 75% and the elimination of self-service food options like salad bars.
- Extended hours help reduce density at any given time and provide students with additional dining options throughout the day.
- We have put a focus on take-away meals that still deliver the quality and variety of food offerings that our students crave, while also offering convenience and facilitating social distancing.
- We have a meal-delivery program for students who must quarantine/isolate.
- We have implemented a Meal Replacement Program that allows students on a meal plan to pick up pre-packaged lunch options that fit a variety of needs, including vegan and kosher. Meal Replacements are available for pickup Monday thru Friday 11am – 4 pm at Café Logan, Tiffin Café, and Maroon & Midway Markets.
Learn more about locations and hours for campus dining commons for Spring 2021.
Other Campus Dining Options
|Academic Cafés and Food Courts||
On-Campus Dining Map
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the focus of the Housing and Dining planning group?
The Housing and Dining planning group is charged with establishing a safe environment for our students to cohabitate on campus. This includes providing public health informed recommendations on housing density and capacity, health and sanitation protocols, dining and food service operations, and hygiene and isolation requirements.
Who is in the Housing and Dining planning group?
|Andrea Lewis||Communications/The College|
|Angelica Marks||Commercial Real Estate Office|
|Christopher Toote||UChicago Dining|
|Crystal Szewczyk||Housing and Residence Life|
|Elizabeth Shanin||Office of Legal Counsel|
|Heath Rossner||Housing and Residence Life|
|Joel Poelhuis||Office of the Vice President for Operations and Chief Financial Officer|
|Kevin Austin||Facilities Services|
|Paul DeLuca||Emergency Communications and Security Operations|
|Regine Desruisseaux Enuson||The College|
|Richard Mason (chair)||Campus and Student Life/The College|
|Robert Rush||Office of Legal Counsel|
|Sophia Chaknis||Housing and Residence Life|
|Steve Rings||Resident Dean|
|Suzanne Riggle||Resident Dean|
|Tracy McCabe||Office of President|
Note: Italics signify faculty members.